Home Buying Tools
BY CHAFIN COMMUNITIES
What’s The Difference? “Pre-Sale” Home versus “SPEC” Home
They each have advantages and disadvantages. Find out what is better for you.
- A “pre-sale” is a home where you start from the ground up, choose the lot, the floor plan, the colors, and build the entire thing.
- The advantage to a “pre-sale” is you get to choose everything from lot to floor plan to colors to custom features.
- The disadvantage is that it takes a lot longer.
- There is usually a pre-sale premium, so this way usually costs more
- A “spec” is a home already under construction or completed.
- One key advantage to a “spec” is there is usually no “pre-sale” premium, so spec homes usually cost less
- There is less stress because all the colors have been chosen by the decorating team, so you can see it all and don’t have as much of a guessing game over the finished results
- Another advantage to the “spec” is you already know how the lot will end up after grading is done
BACK TO HOME BUYER TOOLS DOWNLOAD PRINTABLE CHECKLISTS