Ranch Homes Single Level Living – The Surprising Pros and Cons
Ranches homes are in very high demand in Metro Atlanta today. They usually sell faster than we can build them, but believe or not we still have a few with Buyer Bonuses on them. Links below for more. Here is the rundown on the basic pros and cons that some people don’t always think about.
- Maintenance is easier – One story homes are easier to clean on the inside – no stairs to lug vacuums or laundry up and down – AND way easier on the outside. Shorter ladders only needed for cleaning windows, gutters or hanging outdoor lights. Also less expensive to paint when needed.
- Safer to navigate – Toddlers and elderly parents may not be able to safely navigate the stairs. Single level living reduces the number of falls or accidents. It also means once YOU are old, you can safely age in the home you built memories in.
- Easier to evacuate – In case of a fire, everyone has a window and a short drop out. Earthquake…ranches are the safest structure during one.
- Easier for parents with small children – Small children usually mean many times getting up at night. With all the bedrooms on one level, you aren’t going up and down the stairs and fighting a baby gate all night. You can do this with a 2 story with all bedrooms up too.
- More expensive to build – A ranch plan requires a larger footprint, which means more concrete, more roofing materials and a larger homesite. Both add to the cost.
- There is less privacy – with bedroom windows on the ground floor, people can literally walk by or worse see in from the nearby home.
- Smaller yard – The ranch plan’s larger footprint takes up some of the space that would have been your rear yard
Ranch floor plan options:
- Single level living – If no stairs living is a must, then a ranch without a bonus room is it
- Bonus room option – If you don’t mind stairs to some of your home’s space but still want a ranch plan with the owners suite on the main, most of our ranch plans have or offer optional bonus rooms or optional bedroom/baths up
What home features are most important to you and your family when it comes to moving into a new home? Using a home buying checklist or home buying wish list will help you determine and find the perfect home. A home that is ideal for you and your family. Check out Home Buying Checklist: What you Need In Your Next Home.